Montero Lamar Hill, popularly known as Lil Nas X, is a talented American rapper, social media influencer, and internet personality. He gained immense fame and recognition with his viral single “Old Town Road,” which topped music charts worldwide and achieved diamond certification in 2019.
Birth & Early Life
Lil Nas X was born on 9th April 1999 in Lithia Springs, Georgia, a small city outside Atlanta. His parents, Robert Stafford and Tamikia Hill, named him after the Mitsubishi Montero. He has two brothers, Lamarco and Tramon Hill, as well as 3 half-brothers and 2 half-sisters. At the age of 6, his parents divorced, and he moved in with his mother and grandmother at Bankhead Courts housing project. Later, he went to live with his father in Austell, Georgia, a decision that played a crucial role in keeping him away from negative influences.
Lil Nas X graduated from Lithia Springs High School in 2017 and briefly attended the University of West Georgia, where he studied computer science. However, he dropped out to pursue a career in the music industry. During this time, he supported himself by working at Zaxby’s restaurants and the Six Flags Over Georgia theme park.
He rose to prominence when he released his country rap single “Old Town Road” in 2019, which quickly gained viral popularity. The song spent a record-breaking 19 weeks atop the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, and Lil Nas X came out as gay during this period, becoming the only artist to do so while having a number-one record.
Lil Nas X was in a relationship with professional dancer Yai Ariza, who appeared in his music videos for “That’s What I Want” and “Industry Baby.” He struggled with his coming out, accepting his sexuality around the age of 16.
The rapper stands tall at 188 cm (6’2″) and weighs 72 kilograms (152 lbs). He does not have any tattoos.
Lil Nas X’s estimated net worth is approximately $8 million. Most of his earnings come from his singing career, and his song “Old Town Road” was the first to sell over 10 million copies while in the number-one spot.
- Lil Nas X used Reddit to create traction for “Old Town Road” by posting a lyric query anonymously.
- He won two Grammy Awards at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards.
- Lil Nas X is the first openly LGBT Black artist to win a Country Music Association award.
- He is known for his controversial video stunts, such as the fake pregnancy suit and a lap dance with Satan in his song “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name).”
- Lil Nas X is highly active on various social media platforms, gaining millions of followers on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok.
- He released his debut album “Montero” in 2021, featuring chart-topping singles like “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)” and “Industry Baby.”